Thursday, September 24, 2009

The New Condo Party/Bride's Dilemma

Last night one of my colleagues invited me to her recently purchased condo. It's a great building with lots of charm and in a fantastic central location. There is literally a mall, Whole Foods and tons of restaurants within walking distance. Lucky girl. She has great style too. Her condo is painted with gray neutrals, lots of tile and very simple yet cozy. She blends high end furniture with indistinct IKEA pieces that looks very rich and carefully thought out. She welcomed me with some Pinot Grigio, warm brie with crackers, grapes, vegetables and hummus. The perfect start to a casual evening. Later on she served a crunchy and fresh homemade Greek salad paired with a  cheese tart from Trader Joe's. To top it off she brought out ripe strawberries and large pieces of Toblerone chocolate. I give her an A+ as a hostess.

Some developments on the wedding side of things as well. One of our great friends was able to give us the name of a Hungarian priest at a nearby church. I'm very excited to talk to him and see if he'd be willing to officiate our ceremony on location.

And for my other control freak/detail oriented friends I keep getting notices from theknot.com about their wedding supply sales. It is a huge amount of things that probably don't matter but that I care about for whatever reason. Things like personalized water bottles and napkins, bubbles, paper parasols, tshirts that say Bride and even more if you can imagine. I keep adding a million things to my cart then realizing it's not a good idea to purchase without looking at the big picture. Plus I'm anal about online shopping and require free shipping. There are of course minimum purchase amounts you must have before getting that free shipping. Then there's the extra 20% off if you buy a certain amount, and on and on. It can drive a girl/bride nuts.

I truly wish I could work with an unlimited budget so I could have the little things no one would notice but me but need to be realistic. How do you balance the fact this is your one big day to you shouldn't go bankrupt for one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment