Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Uncharted Territory

In keeping with my challenge to try new cooking techniques and foods I came upon an old classic that I have often wanted to try but never got the chance: Sloppy Joe's. As far as my memory can stretch I can't remember ever eating a sloppy Joe, let alone making some. It was quite an experience. As you can see from the photo I did not use a big enough pan. Luckily it held the contents and was an easy cleanup: one pan to wash. I started off browning the extra lean beef and added vegetables including eggplant, onions, garlic, zucchini and more. Then the sloppy part comes. You add tomato sauce, a can of beans, honey, spices and simmer. Once the mixture was the right temperature and consistency I was ready to plate. I poured the sloppy Joe on top of a whole wheat bun and took my first bite. Delicious! It was certainly messy but honestly a fun and tasty meal. It reminded me of chili, which I love. So get your inner child out and remake your favorites. You'd be surprised how easy, scrumptious and flexible some of the basics can be. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your ingredients! they are amazing and this one is really a hit!! from your blog, i discovered and appreciated much more recipe.

    zonia

    ReplyDelete