Friday, October 9, 2009

My "Famous" Chili

I drove myself to work yesterday so I could get home at a decent hour without waiting for Cristian. Upon arriving I noticed we had little left in groceries but I remembered I had purchased the makings for chili not too long ago. Cristian raves that I should be famous for my chili. I truly don't know why, it's really not that difficult to make. Anyway, he seems to really love it and since we're leaving for the weekend I figured it would be great to have it sit until Sunday to marinate the flavors. mmm

Originally I set out to make vegetarian chili thinking we had no ground meat so I sauteed onions and the jalapeno and then low and behold found the frozen bison meat we had yet to use. I decided to go for it. I thawed the meat and then browned it in the pan with chili powder, onion flakes, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper powder, oregano and a touch of curry powder. It smelled amazingly good. Then I pursued the easiest portion of the recipe, opening the cans. Lots of cans are involved in this masterpiece so it does make for a lot of trash/recycling. There are crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, three cans of various types of beans (I use chili beans, kidney and pinto but sometimes throw in black). The part I don't enjoy is rinsing the beans. I don't know why it bugs me but it seems so gross to get the bean juice out of the can.After they're clean you pour everything in and stir. The worst part about chili is the waiting. The aroma occupies the room almost instantly so knowing it takes 30 minutes is torture. To pass the minutes I decided to make cheese crescent rolls to accompany the chili.

Once completed I was in heaven. My chili is a bit spicy but thick, hearty, warm and super flavorful. To my surprise the bison meat was amazing. It was light and almost fluffy in consistency making it a great textural addition. I was very  satisfied with my first fall meal. A great comfort in the cold.

Enjoy the weekend, I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment