Friday, October 2, 2009

Branching Out my Burger

Yesterday was one of those nights where I had a million and one things to do and almost gave in to picking up fast food. BUT I decided to cook anyway. I looked in our barren kitchen and finally decided I'd make burgers. I took out the usual toppers; ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, and then looked around and found an unlikely ingredient. I had purchased bananas and they were becoming very ripe so I decided to cut them up, season them with salt, pepper and chili powder and then fry them in olive oil. They were hardly sweet after the light seasoning but had a bit of crunch while still being soft. I then decided grilled red onions with chili peppers would be a great semi-salsa. And for the finale I finally tried making my own quick BBQ sauce. I mixed ketchup, balsamic vinegar, Worcester sauce, teriyaki sauce, ground pepper and some sugar. Once it started to boil I let it cool down until it had a thicker consistency. Once the burger patties were medium (medium-well for Cristian) I assembled my creation. The shocker, they were delicious! A bit of tang, sweet and savory all in one. Crunchy, soft and firm mixed together. This is my nod to Cuban cooking. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment