Monday, October 5, 2009

Momma Mia

Friday night I picked my Mom up from Burbank airport after she had a horrendous delay due to failing airplane lights. Once in the car we battled traffic and a mere 1.5 hours later were in the comforts of my home. I feverishly began sauteing and chopping vegetables for our belated meal. My mom being vegetarian is often a challenge to cook for. Not because she doesn't eat meat but because Cristian refuses a meal without it. :) To make the dinner pleasing for all and simple for me I made fajitas. Red and yellow bell peppers, onions, eggplant and chilies grilled away in my wok on one side and flank steak in the other sizzling frying pan. I heated tortillas and took out sour cream and taco sauce, although it turned out my marinade was flavorful enough. To top it off I offered Mom Tequila Rose shots and then made strawberry margaritas, half blended, half on the rocks (I don't like them too icy). Success, a quick and scrumptious meal.

The next morning Mom and I ventured out shopping after indulging in some bridal show television. I love David Tutera! My coffee pot had finally crapped out and we needed some java to begin the day. We started with Mongolian BBQ for lunch. A fun fast food joint that allows you to choose your own ingredients and watch them cook it right in front of you. My Mom was in awe and amazed at the quantity and quality. At the mall Mom was eager to look for new clothes. We entered into the challenge that is Forever 21 and piled our arms high with items to try on. Mom has recently been slimming down and looking fabulous so incidentally all the clothing she tried on looked great and flattering on her. I found a top and jacket, which was a nice treat to a weary wardrobe.

Post shopping spree we changed for the wine and restaurant event that I was to work that evening. Cristian showed her around and took her shopping while I made sure things were running smoothly at the event. Once figured out we all enjoyed the tasting bits offered at the event. Duck meatball burgers, spicy tuna hand rolls, pork belly... mmm. I also had the please of meeting choice Top Chefs and Top Chef Masters. :) All in all an amazing night.

Yesterday I wanted to take Mom to my favorite bakery that has cinnamon danishes that are to die for (and coffee since I couldn't brew my own). Unfortunately it was closed. I was horrified since we were in a bit of a time crunch. We made out way to a more well known breakfast spot and in the process found a new bakery, Korean, that was open for business. The aroma wafted through the air and enticed us to take a peek. We were immediately hooked. Sweet potato buns, almond paste croissants, pumpkin pie and ham and cheese bread were all the rave. They even had lattes! Then off we drove to Knott's Berry Farm for the bridal show. This was by far the best one I've attended. New vendors, great ideas and lots of brides.

The main event was to take Mom to the wedding venue, which she had thus far only seen in photos. She was impressed. We brainstormed together and took in the scenery to figure out how we'll be making this space "our" wedding, and not some cookie cutter event. I grew excited as her ideas seem to harmonize with mine.

Finally I took her to Home Goods, a store recommended to me by another bride, which we fell in love with. They have every decoration, plate, vase, tablecloth and kitschy piece of furniture you could ask for. Too intimidated to buy anything we venture home for her to pack. The weekend was too short as usual.

This time tears poured from my eyes right as we got in the car, not at the airport where they normally well up. My Mom felt so bad and I explained how home sick I am, especially throughout our wedding planning that I am primarily doing alone. I truly miss the Bay, my BFF Karen and my Mom, especially. The whole Kelemen clan and miss Naghmeh, all people I wish would follow me wherever I went. :) It's so hard to be so far away. As I get older my desire for constant changed has altered to a search for home, comfort and happiness. As fall sets in I will miss the rain and fog in SF and Christmas in the Park. Sharks games and the Nutcracker. Main Street Singers Wassail party. Things near and dear to me that I had readily left and now desperately seek again.

Sorry to depress the blog just needed to get it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment