Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sad News

When you think every little problem leading up to a wedding has occurred think again. I had people invite themselves (and/or their children), in-laws alter the list after action was already taken, money run out, minister not confirmed until 6 days before and much more. At my wits end 12 days before the wedding I received a phone call that changed everything. My brother called me to inform me he had taken my maternal grandma (only grandparent actively in my life) to the doctors. After reviewing some x-rays taken when she was diagnosed with pneumonia they found her lungs were overwhelmed with cancer. In fact it was already stage 4 and chemo wasn't even an option.

My heart sank, my throat tightened and I cried. After letting out my emotion with my brother I called my Mama, the name we'd fondly given her as children. She was hysterical claiming she wouldn't be coming to my wedding and that she was suing the doctor etc. I tried to be calm as I am always the rock of the family. This time was hard. After a few days and more doctors visits Mama finally confirmed she would make the quick 45 minute flight to join me in LA for my big day.

I was relieved and ecstatic, the wedding would be complete. I have so few family members so I knew I'd need her that day. As she helped us arrange flowers, six of us in the hotel room, she mentioned to me that this was one of her best days in her life. Again I teared up but this time for a good reason. I know she'll fight but it's hard to be far away. Mama, en szeretlek.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad she got to spend the wedding with you! Prayers with her, and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete