Thursday, September 30, 2010

Inspiration

I love when you go to a great restaurant and get so enthusiastic about the food you want to try new recipes and use your hidden gadgets that have specific tasks like zesting a lemon. Even better is when you are invited to a friend's house and with no expectation are taken off guard by a culinary delight. Tonight was one of those nights.

My hard working coworker and I were recently talking about his daughter's new math class and how she seemed to need a little help. I happened to mention I used to be an Algebra tutor and the next day I was asked to help. This little girl happened to be my adorable flower girl, also known as the star of the wedding. I was in.

As I get out of my car my student is running toward me with glee. We embrace and she shows me some new things around the house; her Halloween costume, a computer game and the loft she plans to build in the backyard. All the while my coworker and his wife are preparing something with a magical savory aroma. I welcomed to the kitchen with a glass of wine while they finish the last minute preparations. I notice my colleague ventures outdoors briefly. I look through the sliding glass doors and see he's picking fresh herbs from their garden. My mouth is watering.

We adjourn to the living room to dine (the dining chairs were getting a makeover) and they turn on Project Runway, a personal favorite. A delightful little plate of perfect portions is placed in front of me. There is a medium cooked marinated tri tip steak (yum) and a tomato and mozzarella salad drizzled with balsamic. Fantastic. Filling but light, scrumptious but not competing.

The night goes on and my pupil and I begin the math. Sometimes I'm amazed how quickly they move in school compared to my seemingly ages before time in elementary school. I start to recall the techniques and confusing instructions. We go over her work and I help her teach herself the correct methods. We probably only figures out about three revelations but it was enough for me. The first time she said my way was much easier I was honored. I love helping others and hope to help mold her future. Can't wait for next week's dinner too!

I arrive home coughing and staring at lighting in 95 degree heat. I truly want to lay in bed and fall asleep but my wifely duty of making food for my husband when he comes home started nagging at me. I look in our barren fridge and cupboards (there's been lots of OT between us) and decide to make quesadillas. It seems rather boring so I find some corn in the freezer and throw that in the pan. Then I see home grown tomatoes from the neighbors and chop those up with garlic. Finally I see the pièce de résistance, shrimp. I quickly clean them and add them to my makeshift corn salsa and pile the mixture onto the melted jack and cheddar cheese.

But I don't stop there, I decide it needs a sauce since we don't have any sour cream which we both love. A little mayo, cocktail sauce, hot sauce, lemon, chives, salt and pepper and I have it. It's a spicy aoli perfect for the Mexican style dish. Let's just hope he likes it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Update, he loved it! Thought I was so creative pulling stuff together from what little ingredients we had. Success!

    ReplyDelete