Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Missing Ingredient

On Sunday Cristian and I decided to take out some lamb chops that we hadn't made due to recurring invitations to the in-laws. Last night, yet again, our plan was derailed but in this case to my benefit. I had marinated the lamb chops in Syrah, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper and parsley. After sitting in the bath a few days the flavor was highly intensified. I took out my cast iron grill pan and heated it up with a light layer of olive oil. In the meantime I looked up sauces to go with this delectable protein. I found Giada's very plain, very easy recipe and was very excited to use my new food processor for only the second time.

Measuring out the ingredients I pour them into the bowl - balsamic vinegar, garlic clove, salt and pepper...honey. Oh no. I completely forgot we had run out of honey. What to do? Searching the fridge I decide to be bold and try a substitute, raspberry jam. It's sweet, somewhat tart and should go well with balsamic, but garlic??? I measure it out and decide to go for it. Once the food processor is engaged I slowly and carefully pour in the vegetable oil until the mixture thickens. After only 2.5 minutes the chops have been flipped and the second batch is on the heat.

For a side dish I decide to go with spring mix, diced heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella pearls. Clean and simple. Delish. On my new everyday china I arrange my dinner for one and pour myself a glass of a red Rhone wine. I pause to take a picture of the meal I made for me then sit down. The rain is coming down lightly and the house is quiet. I may have been missing honey but I'm also missing my Honey.

lamb chops cooking in the grill pan
raspberry balsamic sauce

finished chops

finished fall feast

my humble plate
mmmmm 

No comments:

Post a Comment