Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Eggs in Jar

Many of you may or may not know my aversion to eggs due to an incident in Spain. Back in high school I was a vegetarian, an unfortunate circumstance as I traveled to Europe singing on tour to many countries two years in a row. In Spain, their idea of vegetarian was to feed me scrambled egg sandwiches night and day. I once did get spaghetti plain with a bottle of ketchup (that's right). After a few days I could not eat another egg with out the desire to purge. Since then I have rarely eaten eggs and when I do they are mixed with a variety of ingredients to take the "edge" off so to say.

There are a couple of recent preparations of eggs that have blown me away and persuaded me back to the popular ingredient. The first positive experience was at Santana Row with a girlfriend of mine. I ordered crab cakes Benedict. The dish was filling, salty and yes gooey but I loved it. That was the first time I had unscrambled eggs in years. Since then I have made my own version of eggs Benedict that turned out quite well, although I'm still perfecting the Hollandaise sauce. Not too long ago Karen and I went to Jar, Top Chef Master Suzanne's place in Hollywood. I ordered a prosciutto sandwich and there happened to be eggs on top. In the end it was so scrumptious I ate until I couldn't. This is quite possibly the best preparation of eggs I've had. Kudos Suzanne.

Finally, my Dad is one of the best egg chef's of all time. Since I can remember he was very skilled at making omelets. This past trip to Houston reiterated his creativity and talent. Go Dad!

So thanks to those who showed me eggs can be delicious again.

2 comments:

  1. when i was studying in spain, our host mom made us DEEP FRIED hardboiled eggs. sounds nasty, i know...but, Oh. My. Gah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard something about a Scottish Egg which I think is exactly that. Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete